I think of the poor of India every time that I draw a thread on the wheel. For a person suffering from the pangs of hunger, and desiring nothing but to fill his belly, his belly is his God. To him anyone who gives him bread is his master. Through him he many even see God. . . . Therefore I have described my spinning (a daily activity) as a penance or sacrament. And, since I believe that where there is pure and active love for the poor there is God also, I see God in every thread that I draw on the spinning wheel. (Khadi, pages 110-111)Mohandas Gandhi
His philosophy of nonviolence and his passion for independence began a drive for freedom that doomed colonialism
Here's an article from Yale regarding [Ghandi's philosophy] the Benefits of Hand Spinning.
Spinning will soon be the next fiber arts frontier for me to approach, and as such, I'm fascinated by this portable Indian Charkha.

No comments:
Post a Comment