Friday, March 07, 2008

Actively Entertaining Ideas For Appropriate Hostess Gifts For a Day of Sheep Shearing


[Video totally ganked from Stix-n-Stitches' blog!]

As my husband told his co-workers, I'm headed to the "Mother Ship."

Tomorrow, I'll be going to Jenny Jump Farm to observe and assist my friend whose herd of Jacob's sheep will be getting sheared--rain or shine.

Doubtful if the husband will go with, as the weather will be downright "Scottish" as another friend mentioned how chilly and downright damp the day will be (T-showers are predicted for tonight). So I envision a good portion of the day to be full of mud and sheep and well? Muddy sheep! Rain? Mud? Sheep? All I need to round out the full Scot's perspective here would be to eat some haggis (I'd gladly settle for a deep fried Snickers bar), with a single malt chaser.

The husband asked me today what was the big deal, "So you're going to SEE some sheep get sheared. What's the big deal?" I responded the only way I knew how: "I was invited to attend/assist, and from an existentialist standpoint, I like to have that connection to the animal which provides the fiber which provides so many hours of joy for me." "Somehow I knew you'd say that," he replied.

For this jaunt, I wised up and got myself a room at a hotel IN TOWN, to make it easier on me. I'll be "hooking" up with friend and fellow crocheter, "Red" who will be there at the shearing, and will be adding to a freeform scrumble piece I'm coordinating for charity. We hope to go for lunch after, or perhaps an early supper--depends on how long the shearing takes place, and I suppose how muddy we'll be after.

So I'll need to pack an overnight bag tonight, complete with a small bottle of Baileys (suddenly I've got an urge for it--eventhough I could pick up some mighty good port at Four Sisters nearby), and a good share of Lush bath products, to ensure I luxuriate as much as possible for my weekend of alone time.

Hopefully between the luxuriating with Lush products and what I hope to be a solid, old fashioned breakfast at Thisilldous. [Think about it, it'll come to you.]

After breakfast, I'll head east to Montclair. No yarn crawl for me this time. First, I want to stop off at Spice It Up because whenever I go to Montclair, I always say, "Next time, I want to check that shop out!" And if time allows, a quick browsing of Montclair Book Center, before heading to Stix-n-Stitches for the Scrumble-Along I've been coordinating on behalf of Jimbo and his awareness & donation campaign for Friedreich's Ataxia.

The owner and staff at SnS really seem jazzed by the idea of the Scrumble-Along and have promoted it. I can't wait! But I won't wish my time away as it were... I have a good weekend ahead of me. Not even the rain can detract from it, I hope!

No visit at SnS would be complete for me without stopping by Cha Ma Gu Dao for tea. Now that I have an infuser styled tea pot, I am really getting into brewing loose leaf.

Before I gas up "Beulah" to head home, I will be having a leisurely dinner at Thai Chef, and hope for a bowl of Bami & Lard Na (I always ask to have a mix of the two) Peking Duck Roll, and Shrimp avocado in Massaman curry.

I can't wait!

1 comment:

Calling on Kahlo said...

If you go to Spice It Up try the toffee with chocolate, it is amazing. A local baker makes it and it is divine.