[Pictures to be added once available.]
Hotel: We stayed at the Hilton and the suite plus the CGOA Conference price was like $119 per night (which I thought was a steal. They have an indoor pool; outdoor jacuzzi. The suite (which they upgraded our room to) had a jacuzzi tub. They have a restaurant and a bar, exercise room, laundry, and and and… a business office for hotel guests to use for free, and of course this includes free access to the net. I thought all in all it was a fabulous investment.
The hubby stayed in the suite, watched sports. The room had a birds eye view of the minor league baseball field for the NH Fisher Cats. He slept, ate, watched sports and t.v., basically what he would have done had he remained in NY. I wasn’t expecting him to come along, but I am glad he did. We did a minimal amount of bickering (what couple doesn’t bicker?), and when I wasn’t feeling up to the drive home, he drove halfway.
Friday afternoon I took a course on Pushmi-Pullyu which was taught by Dee Stanziano. It was a good class, and it really taxed my brain. I could feel all sorts of connections in my brain reconnecting. For me, this was mentally exhausting, and physically I lack dexterity in my non-dominant hand. I got a few skeins of "Country," an acrylic/merino mix (75/25), in #0009 "Renaissance Rose," and one skein of "Spa," which is a 75/25 mix of acrylic and bamboo, in #0003 "Soft Sunshine." Both yarns were supplied by Naturally Caron. It was a blast to finally meet Dee, and I hope to get around to attending a few of the HHCCC meetings in Danbury.
Friday night, we met my cousins for dinner at a local Brazilian Churrascaria (a virtual meat-a-topia). Total time there: approximately three hours. See what our dinnertime topics were a few posts back.
Saturday first thing in the a.m., I had a class on Tunisian Entrelac in the Round with Darla Fanton. It was a slow start for me, as I am no good at interpreting patterns, but once I got my bottom/center made, it seemed fairly straightforward thereafter. I finished the project this morning on our way back to NY. I plan on felting it. And though I see every single imperfection in it, I am hoping once it's felted it will blur them a bit so they are not so pronounced. If I attend another conference, I will definitely attend another of Ms. Fanton's classes. I was very impressed with her attention to the students' progress.
I think I could be cajoled into making this pilgrimage again, depending on my mood, and how receptive my friends are to coordinate time and classes. Perhaps next year. Perhaps by then I’ll be better prepared, and have everyone on my cell phone book, remember to pack my camera and make DEFINITE plans. Otherwise, I’ll probably look into the NCS event which is a weekend retreat in northwestern NJ (not far from Hope/Belvidere). I felt bad I wasn’t able to make it to the dinner Saturday night, and thus was unable to spend more time with friends; however, it’s not as if I’ll never see them again, but we don't live all that close in proximity either, so I cherish the few times I am able to get face-to-face time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment