When someone lifted a post of mine, from my personal blog, in its ENTIRETY, and posted it to their own blog as if it were their own content, despite my copyright blurb on the side panel featuring first, foremost and PROMINENTLY on my side panel, I felt violated. And sad that someone would steal a post about how I'm dealing with the death of my father and post it to their own blog, as their own content, without any attributes to me, the original author. In most cases, I either ask permission beforehand, or at the very least if I have lifted an image for "personal and inspirational use," I link back or otherwise attribute to the original source.
I know I'm not alone. I know there are many folks who make their living doing exactly THIS, posting text and pictures to the internet, selling patterns and ideas... INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY.
Plagiarism and disregard for copyright do nothing but breed ill-will, and thwarts creativity. And let's face it, from a personal standpoint, it makes folks justifiably bitchy; and bitchiness, IMHO, is counterintuitive to creativity and fiber work.
Monday, December 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Holy sh*t. I'm sorry that happened to you. If you don't mind my asking, how did you find out?
This is the second blog I've read that had a problem with pagiarism.
I don't think anyone would want to post anything I have on my blog as their own but how would I find out if they did?
I believe I found out, as my WordPress blog has some feature on it which showed some activity. Now, of course, I can't find it! But at the time, I was shocked to see it on someone else's blog!
Lupie, to find out, you can copy a string of words from a sentence from your blog, and paste it in the Google search engine, and see what comes up. Putting it in "" quotes might narrow the search down a bit.
That's awful. I would have thought that such personal material wouldn't be anything someone would want to plagiarize. I would be so upset!
I think there are also services that you can sign up with, and they'll search your blog and notify you if anyone else posts duplicate content. I'll see if I can dig any up.
Post a Comment