Itinerary:
We actually decided to visit Anne & Co., where I got some magenta burly spun for a monster granny 'ghan full of splashy color, an M crochet hook, a K afghan hook, and two abalone buttons. They asked if I wanted my burly spun wound, and of course I did! They wound it as far as they could on the ball winder, and the rest of the hank they had to do by hand. IT IS ENORMOUS.
(Pictures forthwith.)
1270 Madison @ 91st
Jackson Hole was jammed to capacity, so we ended up hoofing it to 3 Guys for lunch.
91st & 5th
As Jackson Hole and the museum were proximal, it did not make sense for us to walk back uptown to the museum and just continue making our way back towards GCT.
208 W. 79th St. (Between Broadway & Amsterdam)
(Incidentally, there is a Lush @ 76th & Broadway, #2165 Broadway.)
We ditched this segment of the itinerary, and opted to bus/hoof it over to String.
On our way there, we were walking behind a woman on Park Avenue wearing some heels that were either uncomfortable or too high or what-have-you, and you could see her ankles really taking a beating while she walked.
At first it was a wild goose chase, going to String's previous address. We called and walked over to their new location. And in doing so, we were glad that we went to Annie & Co., first.
String was in total disarray, as they were moving their sale yarn out, and putting new stuff for Spring in stock. Isn't this something that most folks would do either before opening or after closing for the day?
There wasn't any seating in there, so I opted to go outside and sit on the stoop while my friend browsed. Had this been our only stop for the day, I would have been very disappointed.
In comparison, Annie & Co., was a bright cheerful, inviting shop. Plenty of lovely yarns to oggle. I justified the purchase of the yarn and the tunisian hook... and the M hook and abalone buttons were just total impulse! I can't wait to snap a picture of it!
So we headed on over to MarieBelle Chocolates 762 Madison @ 65th for tea and hot cocoa and purchases. I sat on the bus behind a woman wearing a mink coat and a straw pith helmet and Gucci sunglasses. HILARIOUS "Safari-meets-Upper-East-Side." I leaned in to whisper to my friend traveling with me, "Why is it every time we get on the bus, it smells like ass/shit?"
Lastly on our way back to Grand Central, we passed someone, who my friend suspects is a student at FIT (we THINK), who looked kinda like either a "He-She-It" (not that there's anything wrong with it!) transgender or transvestite albino, wearing broken down go-go boots and the rest of the ensemble was total 1960s retro Carnaby Street attire. Pasty sallow make up, baby pink lipstick. And another pedestrian had a skirt that was entirely too short that if she were wearing one, you'd be able to see her tampon string. But then again, I think I just answered my earlier question about why the buses smell like ass.
Good times~

2 comments:
Sounds like a very interesting trip to the city!
Very!!
Post a Comment