Friday, February 11, 2011

Finally, An Update: A Full Day in NYC

Had to head into NYC for my three week visit with my surgeon. (Info on the results of that are going to be posted "elsewhere." Dear friends/regular readers, I think, know where to look for that update, I'll get around to it tomorrow, I think.).

So off to Grand Central, then the Shuttle (passing EAST 125th en route), then the #1 all the way up to 168th to the surgeon's office (passing WEST 125th en route). Yes, VERY INDIRECT! Afterwards, back to 168th, take the #1 downtown to 79th.

Had lunch at Nice Matin. Appt w/the surgeon was great, and I was invigorated, and felt I owed it to myself to celebrate. So I treated myself to "brunch." Had their veggie/sausage frittata and coffee. Sipped coffee until right before my meal arrived. Then I took my time, sitting in the sunny window, people watching then reading my book. Sitting there with my "Jackie O" styled sunglasses, trying to get into a "South of France" mindset (afterall, I *have* visited NICE, FRANCE in 2008). Envisioned myself a french woman, and took small bites, savoring my food. And I'd say maybe I ate 1/3 of that frittata, maybe 1/4. But it's not like I had a scale on hand. I eyeballed it. I also had some of the soft part of a piece of multigrain bread (and YES I put butter on it). Took my time. Eventually had the waiter pack it up for home, then asked for a container of the soup du jour for home. Continued to sit there long enough until I could sip a little more of my coffee. Really enjoyed this.

Also, while there, I found out about the "Stinky Cheese Festival" which is coming up. I hope to go back to Nice Matin for lunch. I've already picked out what I want to eat: "Limberger Steak Hache." I can't wait. I can get maybe 3 meals out of that burger. This new lifestyle of mine is really appealing to my sense of thrift. Rather than snarfing down one meal and not be satisfied, now I'm eating considerably less, enjoying it more, and have enough leftovers for 2-3 meals. WIN WIN WIN.

After lunch, I walked across the street to Knitty City for my celebratory yarn "fix." I got some lovely lovely cotton silk by Misti Alpaca, a spare skein of Provence Cotton by Elite, and an Interweave Crochet Accessories magazine:

Here's the magazine w/the Misti Alpaca cotton silk.
I love the aqua variegated and the "hand."

Here's the Provence Cotton. Love it.
It's my fave, "go to" cotton.

Little did I realize when I picked up the magazine,
inside I found this great pattern for these socks!
I think I'm going to tinker with it!
MIGHT!

So, afterwards, I headed back to the #1, took it back to 42nd, took the shuttle back to Grand Central, then took MetroNorth back home. Glad to be home. Too much walking with my new orthodics (btw, the left one shifted in my boot, so my heel is now tender). My calves are killing me. And by the time I got home, I could hardly get my ass up the 15 stairs to my front door. I hobbled up, one step at a time. My back and knees and heel all SCREAMING IN PAIN. But, all in all, a very good day. So "good" in fact, I fell asleep watching t.v. with the husband. I couldn't keep my eyes open!

5 comments:

Miss Julep said...

Yay! So glad you got to get out and about. Love the yarns you chose.

Maven said...

Thanks so much! What do you think of using the cotton silk Misti Alpaca for the socks? It's DK weight, so I might go up in hook size (which would work good for me since my feet are close to a size 11 and the pattern only goes up to a 9 or 10.

The Frizzy Hooker said...

Maven Has a Day.
glad you enjoyed yourself. That pink yarn looked yummy

Deneen said...

Wonderful you had a day out and about. I have to try and find that magazine. I haven't been to a yarn store, big box or otherwise in I can't remember when. I'll have to check destash on Rav and see (yarn diet for a long, long,long, time.).

I am happy for you. Your posts seem so much more upbeat, even the pain walking up the steps seems happy :/

Maven said...

Finally, a day where everything went well:) Deneen: What do you think of the socks I want to make? Going to make them w/the DK weight I bought, and then go up in hook size to accommodate that (plus accommodate the fact my feet are larger than the pattern size). Lemme know what you think! :)