
So far, I've attempted Shirley's Socks (See also: my project section on TKS), thrice, frogging the toe each time.
At first I thought it was my inability to just follow directions. Then I thought it was the yarn, so I swapped out my first choice yarn for something more typical (i.e. I was going to use DK weight vs actual sock yarn). Even w/the sock yarn (see pic above) and the proper sized hook, I just couldn't get my act together.
Maybe it's me. Maybe it's the pattern? Who knows.
How many more times should I attempt this before just throwing in the towel?
I understand about crocheting outside my comfort zone in order to increase confidence and skill; however, this is becoming more and more frustrating each time I have to frog.
I have booked some time with an instructor for next week, and hope that things start to gel for me after that; however, I'd like to appear as if I don't really need TOO much hand holding when I see her. I can manage entrelac and other tricky things, so why is crocheting up a pair of socks defeating me?

4 comments:
Maybe if you made them for someone for a special occasion the pressure will focus you on the task to get it done right?
All the fantabulous crocheting you do, please the tunisian, entrelac and the socks have you boggled? Just do basic toe up with afterthought heel. This was the first pattern I did and it was so easy: In Your Shoes ankle socks or Criss Cross Ankle socks or make my pedicure socks, which is like these sans heel and toe for a feel.
Links for you:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/chris-cross-ankle-socks
http://www.crochetme.com/media/p/87952.aspx
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/crocheted-pedicure-socks
You can do it!
Don't give up! Crocheted socks are the bomb. Is it the toe itself where you're getting stuck, or the transition into the lace pattern?
Frizzy: Doubtful! I do horribly with deadlines!
Deneen: YEP! Partly it's me, and partly it's the pattern. I've got it on good authority (someone else!) that this is my case with this particular pair of socks:)
Coffeedog: First it was the toe that I just couldn't seem to "get," but I persevered and attempted it one final time and the toe "clicked." Then, of course, I got hung up on the language of the lace for the transition.
More pix to post! :)
Post a Comment