Well? I haven't been able to focus. Haven't been able to pinpoint exactly when.
Could it be when I did my big de-stash in July?
Could it be the big implosion of a friendship? (Doubtful)
Could it be the heat?
Could it be related to my post-op eating/lifestyle? (I *AM* drowsy after eating--hence my lack of productivity on knit night)
Who knows.
Even the most simple or "easy" patterns, I've had a problem just processing mentally, and getting my hands and yarn to mimic what they should be doing for the desired effect.
First it was the Clapochet. I frogged that fucker five times, the fifth time I just did not bother attempting the pattern again.
In my own defense, I am left handed, patterns are written for righties.
In my own defense, I am a visual learner, and need charts or the item in front of me to duplicate.
So now, I'm working on the Tropical Breeze Shawl. I've attempted starting it the last few weeks, which has left me perplexed. Yet, now it's a matter of pride. I refuse to allow a pattern to beat me.
So I plod on. And today, I think... *THINK, MIND YOU,* that the pattern is gelling in my head.I'm equally tenacious with other things.
Yesterday I found myself in Rye for an appointment. I had some time afterwards, where I decided to venture off, on the fly as it were, to visit a shop in nearby Port Chester I haven't been to, yet.
I'm usually a woman with a plan, and a map, and detailed instructions on how to get from point A to B to C, etc. Yet yesterday was very stream of consciousness. Life as it happens. Well, my life does not involve GPS, and I don't know how to use that feature on my phone. All I was operating with was the knowledge that 19 Putnam Avenue was somewhere in the general vicinity of US route 1.
So I drove round and round. Back tracking several times. Harumphing to myself. Stopped at the McDonald's in Port Chester (ill-advisable, it's nearly impossible to get into, and nearly impossible to get out of, given the traffic pattern on US 1) for coffee, and one final attempt at finding the Nimble Thimble/Yarn Yard.
I stopped at one intersection and asked for directions, and Port Chester is one of those towns where if you don't speak Spanish, it's a real liability. The kid pointed in the general direction to my right, which led me down Broad Street (not where I needed to be).
Round and round I went. Literally.
Luckily for me, I had a stick of turkey jerky in the car to fortify me (was hungry due to having had an ultrasound earlier in the day).
Finally. I found it. And as is the case with many things in my life...
IT. WAS. CLOSED.
I concluded my little experiment. Came home and made a purchase from the Loopy Ewe, and doubt I'll be making that little trek again anytime soon, given the limited hours that store seems to be open. Reminds me of a little dump of a place in Upper Montclair I had the misfortune of going to, which didn't seem all that interested in what the customer wants or needs.
But in the meantime? Yeah. I finally started working on the Tropical Breeze Shawl. I'm up to row 8. *So far.*
Keeps fingers crossed...

No comments:
Post a Comment