Sunday, February 26, 2012

This Rant Brought to You By Hydrocodone

Posted elsewhere... because REALLY? It bears being said. REPEATEDLY.

Topics I could do without reading anymore, ever ever again: acrylic is for crocheters, crocheters don't spend $$$ on "good yarn," and how knitting is so much better or nicer looking than crochet. It's the 21st effing century, isn't it time to quit it with the late 19th century textile arts biases and elitism? The more threads I read, the more pissed I am that I didn't spend that time yanno... actually CROCHETING AND BEING HAPPY.

4 comments:

Lupie said...

This is so old and I'm done with those who feel that way. I started crocheting over 40 years ago and when I started feeling lupus getting in the way of my hands doing my crocheting it broke my heart. I then turn to knitting because my hands could handle the needles better than the hook. Sometimes I need a crochet fix and start a project.
Why people feel the need to compare is beyond me.

Maven said...

It's not the mere comparison that gets me, it's the insults and insistence from others that knitting is somehow superior to crochet. One thing that IS superior when knit vs crochet is ribbing. Knit ribbing is far more elastic than crochet.

My personal attitude is that I can duplicate knit stitches or reverse engineer patterns into crochet, so why would I want to knit? Furthermore, why is my preference something that some folks think is within their right to rebuke me and my efforts?

And yes, it's so old, and so played out, yet some folks on discussion boards somehow or another perpetuate these topics and patterns of thought each and every time they post one of these redundant, uninteresting, and uninspiring topics.

The Frizzy Hooker said...

I heard it just Saturday from a gal who hadn't crocheted in 20 years. She felt the craft was doomed to used acrylic. I promised to take her shopping.
BTW captca is Vucking ebil. I can't make heads or tails out of it anymore.

BklynVonne said...

For this, I think I lurve you...