Thursday, March 22, 2012

Reverse Engineering: Brass & Steam

Currently on the hook... my own reinterpretation/reverse-
engineering of "The Age of Brass and Steam Kerchief."
In a fit of creative pique at 2 a.m., while chatting w/a
dear friend, I got the brilliant idea to do this
reinterpretation, of course, not knowing
if anyone else has had a similar stroke of
brilliance.

Not that it matters all that much for my
purposes. Part of my journey is the
problem solving or puzzle like aspect
of reverse engineering something.
I actually like doing this, versus
not really enjoying reading someone
else's convoluted and often-times
poorly written patterns.

So I "wing it."
My reinterpretations are more like an homage
to the original, where I'm shooting for a
similar overall asthetic without being a
stitch-by-stitch copy.

To me there's nothing really sporting
in making an identical copy of something
else that someone created.
To me, that's not creativity.
To me, that's not innovation.
To me, that's duplication.
Subtext: Duplication = a big snooze.

No comments: