Sunday, March 16, 2014

OOps, I did it again!

I knocked out another cardi.  (For the backstory on this particular project, check out this blog post.)


Started last Sunday; finished today (this Sunday). Helps the yarn was a worsted or aran weight and the body is worked in an M hook (finished the edge with an H to firm things up.)

For those hookers interested, NO. I did not use a pattern. This is a top down cardigan inspired by the Flying Diamonds Shawl, which I totally MacGuyvered into a cardigan for my aunt.  And NO, I did not (nor will I) write down the pattern. I highly recommend getting the Flying Diamonds pattern and hook up a shawl or three and enjoy it. This sweater is a byproduct of my love of that particular pattern.

I steam blocked it today after weaving in the last of the ends. Next up is button selection. I do things backwards: I make the button holes then backtrack to find buttons of a similar size perfect for the project. Hell, the yarn I bought wasn't even intended for this project. But given I found out last week about my aunt's cancer diagnosis, the yarn in the bag with the rest of its original intended project (see also: the afghan I've been working on for two years) whispered to me, "Psssst! Coach! Pick me! Put me in the game! I want to be a cardigan when I grow up!" And well, when my yarn whispers to me, I have to abide its wishes.  

Anyway, next up is to find a source to get a FUCK CANCER tee shirt (possibly in a green tone, to go with the cardigan). Perhaps my aunt will feel inclined to wear both, the tee shirt and cardigan to her chemo sessions. The cardi is big, and ample, like a "comfort afghan" you can wear out in public. Kinda.

FUCK CANCER IN ITS EAR.