In keeping with my momentum of trying to keep out there, out and about, a friend and I had been looking forward to our outing for the NJ Yarn Crawl. The weather was agreeable enough (didn't start the short lived deluge until the very end of the day), and my pain was manageable enough, and off we went!
The cliffnotes: Here's the total sum of my yarn crawl haul. An itemized commentary of what was bought at each shop follows after.
The cliffnotes: Here's the total sum of my yarn crawl haul. An itemized commentary of what was bought at each shop follows after.
First shop we hit was All About Ewe, located in Clark, NJ, which is my go-to place, my home-away-from-home, given the paucity of yarn shops proximal to me (subtext: ZERO located in my home town or the city within which I work). There are two shops to which I am a most-devoted customer: Knitty City in NYC and All About Ewe in Clark. They each have what I need, both are very supportive of crochet (in addition to knit or spinning), and overall these shops I feel most at home.
I've raved in the past about the shop and feel I don't need to do so again, but since I'm giving input on all the other shops (which I have never set foot in before), I might as well give my thoughts on All About Ewe, just to be consistent and in context with all the other shops.
I find it convenient to get to, roughly 5 minutes (given traffic) off the GSP. Plenty of parking in the lot. The store is well appointed, and is not top heavy with just knit items. There are all manner of things represented here equally. Knit. Crochet. Spinning. Needlefelting. Great selection of stock, both in yarn, fiber for spinning, hooks and needles, as well as current copies of magazines. Plenty of space in the back with a large table and chairs. A comfy sofa. And the staff is helpful and friendly.
What more could you ask for?
All About Ewe was the first shop I wanted to hit,
and the bulk of my spending for the day was there.
Inventory/purchase: I picked up the recent copy of Interweave Crochet, plus I picked up four tasty skeins of TY-DY Socks by Knit One Crochet Too. The yarn hasn't spoken to me, of what it wants to be when it grows up. However, it does beg the question: If I derive so much enjoyment crocheting sweaters, does this constitute a "rut" or a "trend?"
I've raved in the past about the shop and feel I don't need to do so again, but since I'm giving input on all the other shops (which I have never set foot in before), I might as well give my thoughts on All About Ewe, just to be consistent and in context with all the other shops.
I find it convenient to get to, roughly 5 minutes (given traffic) off the GSP. Plenty of parking in the lot. The store is well appointed, and is not top heavy with just knit items. There are all manner of things represented here equally. Knit. Crochet. Spinning. Needlefelting. Great selection of stock, both in yarn, fiber for spinning, hooks and needles, as well as current copies of magazines. Plenty of space in the back with a large table and chairs. A comfy sofa. And the staff is helpful and friendly.
What more could you ask for?
All About Ewe was the first shop I wanted to hit,
and the bulk of my spending for the day was there.
Inventory/purchase: I picked up the recent copy of Interweave Crochet, plus I picked up four tasty skeins of TY-DY Socks by Knit One Crochet Too. The yarn hasn't spoken to me, of what it wants to be when it grows up. However, it does beg the question: If I derive so much enjoyment crocheting sweaters, does this constitute a "rut" or a "trend?"
Next shop we hit was Do Ewe Knit? in Westfield, NJ. I was the first time I've been to this shop, and given there are two different yarn shops in Westfield, I'm glad I picked this one to go to. It had an open, airy vibe like a "beach house," though the building itself is a far cry from a bungalo. The store was cozy and well stocked, and hate to point out the obvious, I did not think it was what I'd call "crochet friendly," given the paucity of crochet books or magazines or pattern pamphlets.
Inventory/purchase: My solitary purchase there (not a grouse, mind you) was Pompom, a British publication, which touts crochet along the top (see above the title Pompom); however, I didn't see anything outright that screamed crochet in the publication itself. Still a worthy, and out of the ordinary, purchase as none of the other shops stocked this or any other British publication from what I could see--not that I was necessarily in the market for such thing, but merely commenting upon it.
Nice shop, no negative vibe at all therein.
Inventory/purchase: My solitary purchase there (not a grouse, mind you) was Pompom, a British publication, which touts crochet along the top (see above the title Pompom); however, I didn't see anything outright that screamed crochet in the publication itself. Still a worthy, and out of the ordinary, purchase as none of the other shops stocked this or any other British publication from what I could see--not that I was necessarily in the market for such thing, but merely commenting upon it.
Nice shop, no negative vibe at all therein.
Third shop we hit was Wool and Grace in Summit, NJ. Much like All About Ewe, where I am a loyal customer and would go there first and foremost for anything I need, I could see myself coming into Summit again to meet a friend for lunch, go to this shop and crochet, then go and wander the street to go shopping at some of the other cute shops.
This shop was beautifully decorated, plenty of seating, plenty of interesting yarns, and was the only shop on our jaunt (that I could tell off hand) that carried Jupiter Moon Farm yarns (again, not that it's a requirement of mine that the shop carries this, but merely an acknowledgment of something unique at this shop I did not see at the others).
Inventory/purchase: The only thing purchased (again, I was not in the market for this, and I did not see all that much in the way of crochet--I'll always buy a magazine or a pattern book if one is available and is something on my wishlist, but sadly I didn't see any. No judgement, just an observation) was this little pattern booklet. I found the packaging very clever, and I plan on giving it as a giftie to a friend. The pattern was put out by Blue Sky Alpacas, "Frances Wrap." To my friend, if you're reading, act surprised when you get this! :)
This shop was beautifully decorated, plenty of seating, plenty of interesting yarns, and was the only shop on our jaunt (that I could tell off hand) that carried Jupiter Moon Farm yarns (again, not that it's a requirement of mine that the shop carries this, but merely an acknowledgment of something unique at this shop I did not see at the others).
Inventory/purchase: The only thing purchased (again, I was not in the market for this, and I did not see all that much in the way of crochet--I'll always buy a magazine or a pattern book if one is available and is something on my wishlist, but sadly I didn't see any. No judgement, just an observation) was this little pattern booklet. I found the packaging very clever, and I plan on giving it as a giftie to a friend. The pattern was put out by Blue Sky Alpacas, "Frances Wrap." To my friend, if you're reading, act surprised when you get this! :)
We then drifted off to Bean Curd for lunch, and then headed off to The Stitching Bee. I love shops such as this one. They are older, more established, more utilitarian, shops rather than a "boutique" with stock overflowing usually at the back and still in bags from the manufacturer. I used to adore a shop in Montclair, NJ called Elly's Knit 'N Rest (which was interesting because there was no place to sit, or "rest" unless the "rest" implied something else, perhaps needlepoint? I don't know).
This shop also had some needlepoint items, floss and pre-printed materials, and plenty of books on an assortment of related topics.
Inventory/purchase: I eye-spied this Filatura Di Crosa pattern booklet, and fell in love with the pattern on the back. There are eight designs therein, by Doris Chan and Kristin Omdahl. Love the pattern on the back, which deceptively looks like the yoke is top down, when it's not. Make no mistake when I do this garment, it'll be top down and I'll shoot for the overall aesthetic, and use the motifs as listed in the pattern.
This shop also had some needlepoint items, floss and pre-printed materials, and plenty of books on an assortment of related topics.
Inventory/purchase: I eye-spied this Filatura Di Crosa pattern booklet, and fell in love with the pattern on the back. There are eight designs therein, by Doris Chan and Kristin Omdahl. Love the pattern on the back, which deceptively looks like the yoke is top down, when it's not. Make no mistake when I do this garment, it'll be top down and I'll shoot for the overall aesthetic, and use the motifs as listed in the pattern.
And the last shop on the jaunt, as I planned it was The Blue Purl. I had been wanting to visit this shop ever since I knew it opened a few short years ago. Very glad I went. Nice shop. Well stocked. I picked up a few Knitter's Pride crochet hooks (as they seem to be one of the last hooks I have yet to try), and picked up the Vogue Knitting Crochet issue. And when they rung me up, took my "passport" and stamped it, they gave me the skein of Rowan yarn (to the right) as a gift. Something free, nice touch. I already have a recipient for the yarn--I have no need for single skeins, but perhaps my friend will. And the yarn came with pattern suggestions for it.
I planned my day so this would be the last shop, as it is most proximal to I-287, and made it efficient for me to get going back home.
I planned my day so this would be the last shop, as it is most proximal to I-287, and made it efficient for me to get going back home.
Last but not least, we popped in to Sweet Lucy's for some coffee and something sweet before heading back home. I opted for their butterscotch pecan blondie, and ate the entire thing (which I regretted, I really should have stopped at half). CHOCK FULL OF YUM.
All in all a very good day, spent time with a friend, visiting others at the shops, and having a nice time.
Life doesn't get any better than this.
Friends. Yarn. Good weather. Good food.
And arriving home safe and sound.
I'm already planning on which stores I will visit for next year's crawl
(and again, I'll start next year's crawl at the very same place).
Life doesn't get any better than this.
Friends. Yarn. Good weather. Good food.
And arriving home safe and sound.
I'm already planning on which stores I will visit for next year's crawl
(and again, I'll start next year's crawl at the very same place).

1 comment:
I'm sorry I missed you during the yarn crawl, I visited those very same places myself on Saturday. I enjoyed your reviews of each shop.
Post a Comment