A few items I've been remiss in sharing...
My current WIP, which has been languishing. It's a top down constructed... TOP, a design of my own doing (and by "Doing" I also mean it's got a few mistakes). Worked up in Provence Cotton. Nearing the bottom of it, I haven't touched it in over a month. I'm distracted by other things, and well, of course PAIN. My "golfers elbow" has not eased itself AT ALL, despite physical therapy, heat and ice and TENS and ... well you get the idea.
Anyway. The photo:
Then there's the matter of my dear, dear friend Rengin generously applying a border of oya to the scarf/shawl/dupatta I bought last year (which was quite literally, hacked off the bolt and sent to me unfinished). Look at her glorious handiwork (the value is not lost on me, the time doing such tedious attention to detail work, knowing she, too, endures repetitive stress injuries as I do.)
On June 24th, I granted myself a DEBAUCH DAY. No, not a "Mental Health Day," but a full on day to do what I want, how I wanted, when I wanted, etc etc. Despite the day starting with an errand for the Maharajah, the remainder of the day was spent in a flurry of shopping, and enjoying... DEBAUCHING as it were.
Post-errand for HIM, I made my way to Bryant Park to have a cup of coffee by the fountain and ruminate on what was next. And despite having quite an extensive itinerary already mapped out (in the order the DEBAUCHING were to take place), a few impromptu add ons were ... ADDED ON.
First up was to cross the street and go to Kinokuniya to get yet another Japanese crochet book. And I feel quite confident, at this point, unless anything new gets printed, I'm going to rest with the dozen or so books in my collection. I don't need more books, much in the way I do not need more yarn.
AND YES. I SAID THAT OUT LOUD.
I was then heading to Vardhman's to get some shisha mirrors and some decorative trim for sari blouses and other projects, but before I even got to Vardhman's, I spotted this fabric in the window of Hamed Fabric shop:
Glorious, no? 100% pure cotton, African "wax cloth," and for $12 for the total yardage for a garment, I thought it was reasonable. The owner was suggesting I get a black one, but I love vibrant colors and insisted on this one.
This past weekend, I happened to find myself in NYC yet again, but this time for lunch and a matinee, and I decided to tempt fate and ask the Maharajah if we could manage a trip to Hamed so I could pick up more fabric--and he said YES! So, I went there with cash in hand, knowing precisely what I wanted, which was one more swath of the fuschia, and then some green for a dashiki for my friend John, and possibly the fuschia to another friend (but not before I get some Goo Gone, as there were labels which pretty much refuse to let go). Pictured above is the very first dashiki I made--and I'm pretty pleased with the results!
Tuesday, July 05, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment