Monday, January 02, 2017

On Making Yarn Substitutions

(Don't get excited! I know! Two posts in two days! I don't know if I can sustain posting daily, but let's see how 2017 shakes out, shall we?) 

Anyone who knows me or my crochet "process" knows that I view crochet patterns (much like recipes) as a "suggestion" rather than a set in stone YOU MUST FOLLOW THIS WORD FOR WORD!

And while I tend to make things for myself now, and try things on as I go and make adjustments (not unlike "Kentucky Windage" in shooting parlance), I'm to the point now (with my RSI) where I want to minimize and economize on my stitches (and thereby perhaps, minimizing my RSI in my elbow). And it's with this in mind, that I solicited my friend Andee over at Mamas2Hands graciously helped me do some calculations. 

In this case, I wanted to follow a pattern which was written for DK weight yarn and use a heavier yarn.  

The yarn in question: Ella Rae Lace Merino in their "chunky" weight. I put "chunky" in quotes, because to me, a chunky or bulky weight yarn would be closer to Malabrigo Rasta, not this particular Ella Rae yarn.  This particular Ella Rae yarn is closer to a worsted, if that.
Bulky comes in at 14-15 stitches in a 4 inch swatch vs DK, which comes in at 22 (using the guide on Ravelry). 

So the bulky breaks down further to about 3.75 stitches an inch vs the DK comes in about 5-6 per inch.

As written in the pattern, the foundation chain in DK weight was 129.

Maharajah, the in house math guy, did some formula and said 86 stitches in bulky--but that still comes off as too low in my head. Even in the smallest size, the foundation chain for the DK came in at 119.

Basically the bulky is 50% fewer stitches per inch (give or take), which in my head would put the stitch count even lower than 86. According to THAT math, the stitch count would be 64 or 65 stitches.

 So it was at THIS POINT, I needed a professional opinion, just to be sure about the math involved. And that's where Andee came into the picture--and she confirmed that Maharajah was pretty darned close with his calculations.  Her calculations and input on the topic is thus:

  1. 3.75 is rounded up to 4, take DK at 6.
  2. Bulky is 2/3 the number stitches as DK.
  3. Divide the number of sts of DK by 3, then take that number times 2.
Caveat: You might want to look at the gauge in the pattern and check if it is close to what your gauge usually is.

So, for future reference for myself:

To convert a DK pattern to a worsted or chunky pattern: Divide foundation chain by 3, then multiply that number by 2, and that is the new # of stitches in the foundation chain. (Give or take!)

Now about doing the reverse? Going from chunky to DK? I hadn't considered that during my chat with Andee! I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!

No comments: