And snagged from the same site, I found this information truly interesting:
When green, violet and white appear together on historic jewelry, this unusual color combination typically signifies that the piece was first owned by a member of the Suffragette movement -- for whom green represented hope, purple signified dignity and white stood for purity. The language we associate with "regard" jewelry applied, too: The "G" of green, "W" of white and "V" of violet comprised an abbreviation for Give Women (the) Vote. All this seems cryptic now, but was clearly understood by everyone in an era when messages were also communicated by which flowers you sent, how you held your fan and which corner of a calling card you folded down, if any.I always knew there was more to the "say it with flowers" than just the superficial sensory enjoyment of the flowers and colors themselves, but was a language unto itself for a long time.
Makes me think of honoring this language of a bygone era, and perhaps put together scarves in that color scheme. Funny thing is, I've thought of putting together some gems for some custom jewelery for my sister and I, using our birthstones, which, coincidentally is amethyst and peridot.
I'm putting down my crafting today and will make sure I vote.
Will you?

No comments:
Post a Comment