Monday, November 06, 2006

Pretty Soon, I'll Have To Create A 12 Step Program For Budding Fiber Addicts



Click on the above picture to be taken to the manufacturer's site for Knifty Knitter

At first I was attempting to teach my mil how to crochet; however, she could not figure out the whole tension, gauge thing. I know she was really interested in making something with yarn, with her own two hands, so when she returns home, she can show it off to friends.

So, the lightbulb went off, and I went to my den and grabbed a shawl I started (I barely got 12 inches done, before I got bored and started a million other projects), which I had hoped to have finished before she arrived, so she'd have something warm and cuddly to wear. So I gave her the loom with the project started, and showed her how to use it. I would say she's about 3/4 of the way done, and at this point it's nearly as long as she is tall (she's roughly 5'1"). A little longer to go, and she'll be able to wear it at a comfortable length.

She is now sufficiently addicted to her project, and cannot wait to finish it to enjoy it herself, and then return to her country to show it off and ultimately give it to her mom.

Tonight we had hosted a cousin of my fil, and his wife, both lovely people. The wife (who we refer to as aunty) was interested in my mil's project, as well as all of my various UFOs, and wanted to know how to go about doing such a thing. I attempted to show her, and then I got the idea that I had a spare KniftyKnitter kit (which I bought as a present for my mil, either as a going away or Christmas gift), and decided to give it to the aunty (to be replaced with a new kit for my mil in time for the holidays), as well as a skein of simple acrylic yarn in a color of her choosing.

I believe I am single-handedly responsible for being the catalyst, birthing two new fiber addicts into the world.

I fantasize about mil getting home, and hitting some fiber or yarn shops in her city... and I wonder, what type of yarns are available in India?

Picture of mil's shawl will be forthcoming once it's completed.

No comments: