Friday, April 13, 2007

Now For Something Totally Unrelated...

Tomorrow is one of the husband's holidays. To him, it's one of the two he makes sure to take off from work, and go to temple. And of course, with him being as reluctant and reticent, I have to fend for myself to find ways to make his holidays special.

This year, I will probably surprise him, and wear one of my sarees to temple with him, and I plan on making a design in rice flour (and perhaps some colored powder, turmeric or other spices) to grace our doorstep, as is the custom where he's from.

This will be the first year in doing so. And sadly, no, when my in-laws were here a few months ago, my mil did not school me in the proper technique, nor educate me on more auspicious symbols. So I am on my own. Big time. However, this is what I've sketched out for my first attempt:

I think the key here is it's better to have the continuous than to attempt something outrageously complicated, such as this Brahma's Knot:


So, the simpler of the two photos is just my initial sketch. I plan on loading up little paper funnels, like one would for cake decorating, and load them up with rice flour and whatever contrasting powder/spices I will use.

So my day will start with a shower, then my first attempt at this art form. Get in my saree (which is no easy task without someone here to assist), head to temple, eat lunch/prasadam there, and perhaps come home and cook for the first time in a while (I've sort of been on "strike" lately).

If you're curious, click my little modest photo on top to go to the Wiki regarding this artform. Hopefully I will have the presence of mind to post a pic should I actually not be a lazy ass, and get up and shower and do this first thing in the a.m.

Here's to hoping not to be lazy and a procrastinator for once in my life!

No comments: