Without fanfare, I went to my specialist in NYC. I don't know why I hardly told anyone where I was going... didn't even mention it to my folks when I visited them. The appointment didn't go too hot.
After the dr. appt, I went to Jackson Hole for lunch, and walked around a bit, and rather than doing my usual "multi-mile" walk thru NYC, I decided to take the M1 to 54th, walk to 53rd and walk two avenues to get to the Museum of Arts & Design to see their "Radical Lace" exhibit. I loved every moment of it, so much so, I bought their book devoted to this concept. Not cheap, but I know I'll be getting hours of enjoyment reading about everything, as well as Googling the individual artists.
The first item in the exhibit which "spoke" to me was "It Sucks," by Freddie Robins, which was a hand-knit shawl made of delicate Shetland lace, based on a traditional Shetland christening shawl, but with the rude slogan, "IT SUCKS" knited into it. According to the book which details the exhibit (and then some): "It's a real comment on motherhood and babies, and on knitting as well, thinking of the Shetland women knitting these shawls for a living. It just sucks, if you are having to do it for money continuously."
My thoughts: I laughed when I read the shawl.
The next item which caught my eye was, "Lilian's Face Flowing," by Barbara Zucker. According to the book, the description of this piece: "It features a cascading network of wrinkles (cut from rubber)that has become a dynamic entity of its own--an enormous river." The artist's thoughts behind this sculpture was: "She found that rubber gave her the power to manipulate the forms and, in a sense, conquer them symbolically: "I wanted to be able to throw them around or cast them off at will, like pulling the skin away from the face and throwing age on the floor."
My thoughts on this? Aging isn't fun. Aging isn't glamorous.
In contrast, "Bobbin Lace Lamp" by Niels Van Eijk WAS, indeed, glamorous, AND innovative. I've since gone to his website, and I have to laugh at some of the products! I especially like the "Moulded Mole," and the "Cleaning Machinery."
Though I can go on and on about this exhibit, the last thing I really enjoyed was EVERYTHING by the artist, Dave Cole. His "Knitting Machine" and his dress made out of 879 one dollar bills (cut to 1/8 strips and knitted), were some wild things. The knitting machine was not just static art, it was a video of two tractors holding two telephone poles fashioned into knitting needles, and was also performance art, as the "knitting machine" knitted a big-assed US flag.
The museum was between 5th and 6th, so I walked to Broadway and took the M10 down to Herald Square to check out Lush, which I have used some of their products (a friend sent me a gift pack via mail, and I've ordered some other items), but there's nothing like wandering thru a store and smelling and touching everything and figure out what you want. Good times. They gave out little samples of their "Dream Cream," and after a skin consultation, they gave me some samples of things they suggest for my skin type. I walked out having bought a bubble bar, a bath bomb, a massage bar, a chunk of their Sultana soap, and some other things I can't wait to use. I think I'm going to use the massage bar as an all over moisturizer, it's good stuff!
Then I took another bus back up to 42nd, and hung out at Bryant Park. Sat and chatted on the phone, did a little crochet, got approached by no less than three homeless people (two to admire what I was working on and make small talk; the third to hit me up for cash), and enjoyed a diet pepsi before heading back to GCT, where I met up with the Maharajah and we went to Michael Jordan's Steakhouse for dinner.
Even the train ride home could not ruin my mood. It was a good day.UPDATE, 5/18/07:
I would be remiss if I did not mention that when I came home from this lovely day, in my mailbox was a parcel from Teabird. Inside was a mix CD (I'm listening to it now) of some mindful, peaceful instrumentals, and a fantastic washcloth (here it is, folded in fourths):
For me, I take bathing seriously, as in a ritual. I have to have the RIGHT soap or scented bath for my mood. Some days a grapefruit or peppermint to wake me up, or lavender or patchouli to calm me down. And lately I've been on a Sultana (from Lush) kick (truth be told I even shampoo with it--and much to my surprise, it leaves my scalp SIGNIFICANTLY itch free). And Teabird's washcloths... I use one every day. I never tire of them. They are one of my favorite things!

2 comments:
Took me a while to respond to this. Oops.
Sounds like a lot of good stuff...sorry the doctor's appointment didn't go well, though. I hope you are OK; maybe we will discuss some other time. *hugs*
Thanks for the good thoughts. It's nothing life-threatening, yet another chronic syndrome with which I must endure.
Post a Comment