Friday, October 05, 2007

OOOoooh...*AS IF* I Need Another Thing To Keep Me Occupied & Further Fiber Addicted...

[From Blue Tree's website:]
"The Oyas are one of a kind necklaces crafted from antique "Oya" (crocheted flower garlands from Anatolia). They are designed by Ninoff exclusively for Blue Tree. Look out for these pieces in the September issue of W magazine."
I.
AM.
IN.
LOVE WITH THE APPEARANCE OF THIS!


So much so, I set forth my mad-Googling skillz to dig up what I could on what it IS [Oya], and perhaps any English books I could use as sources on how to learn and eventually master this craft!

I find it fascinating how different motifs have different meanings, much in the way Victorians used flowers to convey "hidden meanings" in boquets.

Turns out this craft was traditionally used as a means of dowry. Fascinating.

Looking at this rose necklace to the left, I can easily see this being worked as a lacework edging on many items, including a wedding veil.

NEED. BOOK. NEED. KNOWLEDGE. NOW!!!!

8 comments:

Heather said...

I can has Oya? Iz pretty.

Anonymous said...

U kan haz Oya, o-boya.

wendy harbaugh said...

If you find books on the subject i would like to buy one or you could buy one for me and I pay you or barter/trade for it what ever this is real cool to me.

Cecily said...

woh, those really are incredible!

Allison said...

Love the roses the best......and I had to look real hard to realize that garland on the candle was Oya too!

BEE
YOU
TEE
FULL!!!

Pirk said...

WOW, now I need to find out more about OYA.

WOW.
Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

It's really lovely- by Googling oya turkish and oya turkish crochet I came across some vendors actually selling oya pieces, and one eBay seller (sunnymailbox) had books for sale, although the articles that I BRIEFLY skimmed through suggested that oya can be made by tatting, crochet, and with a needle. It looks kind of like very colorful Irish crochet. shforbes

Anonymous said...

I didn't see an email address, so here's my note: I was so taken with the oya pictures and links that I emailed Lacis in San Francisco and they sent a request in to the publisher of a book I saw for sale on Ebay. (I assume for more info at this stage of the game, but they did seem intrigued by oya) Sue F shforbes@earthlink.net