I finally got around to lugging inside a Hefty bag full of "assorted knit and crochet stuff" I picked up from a Freecycler on Friday.
It is a VIRTUAL TREASURE TROVE of vintage Vogue Knitting magazines from roughly 1964 through the 1970s, as well as an assortment of pattern books, pattern clippings, and of course TOOLS!
In this bag was a bevvy of knitting needles (including two nylon circs, as well as one complete set of dpns), rug hooking needles, a scant few crochet hooks; however one hook appears to be crafted out of BONE.
It's fun imagining the person behind the things of interest in the bag. Rug hooking. Crochet. Knit. Macrame. Embroidery. Quite a lot of interests! I especially enjoyed finding one solitary set of double pointed knitting needles--looks like the original owner attempted sock
I'm much more of a crocheter than knitter, so I'll be picking out one or two sets of knitting needles to keep, and will pass on the rest to Interim House in Philadelphia, which uses knit and crochet art therapy as part of a drug and alcohol rehab program.
Eventually, I would like to scan into PDF a few of the patterns that strike my fancy, so I won't end up destroying the books, which are bordering on 40 years old in some cases.
Needless to say, I'll be blogging quite a bit about each little discovery I find in these pattern books, photographing the results... but not before I show off a picture of the petite little hook done in bone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment