Sunday, June 15, 2008

Not MIA on WWKIP Day

We had the very best of intentions, my friend Jess and I. We intended on attending a meeting of Knot Just Knitting, which normally meets in Madison, however, we misread the information and thought both the meeting and their WWKIP Day event both would be held on the Morristown Green. We arrived at the green spot on the dot of 10 a.m., and even were blessed enough to find a parking spot along the perimeter of the Green.

I was saddened to see that the restaurant where my wedding reception was held was no longer there, and the building had been replaced with a new bank; I was surprised to see that the village Green had some considerable new plantings done, and a new fountain, Patriot's Fountain, had been erected (it was gifted in 2001; and finished sometime within the last few years). The old oak tree near where our vows took place is still there, and for all intents, the Green itself isn't too foreign. But, things do change.

Jess and I both misread the info, and of course, in thinking that we were going to the Green, I didn't think I'd need the address etc of the regular meeting place, which is a shame, because on our way to Montclair, I drove right through the neighborhood. Perhaps next month! (I later contacted the moderator of the group, and hope she and I might be able to get together in the interim.)

So we sat and organized our yarn. I even managed to hook a bit of fiber "graffiti," a long strip of half double crochet, with a large blossom at the end of it, affixed by poking the blossom through a chain six loop. We stayed on until 12 noon, and then decided to stick with the rest of our day's plans, which involved going to Montclair, which is one of several of my favorite towns in Jersey, and is one of the towns I hope to reside in, should I ever reside in the Garden State again. Homesick doesn't describe how I feel.

Here's Jess at Patriot's Fountain

So we headed to Montclair. The day started off STUNNINGLY sunny. We parked the car, and hoofed it three blocks in the blaring sun to Thai Chef, only for us to realize it was closed until dinner time. Hmmfph! Their loss! Again, we had to hoof it back to Church Street, where unbeknownst to me, Montclair was having a huge sidewalk sale and "Go Green" festival.

We made our way to Taro, which was the place where my husband and I had our first date. Despite them having a buffet of sorts outside, we went inside, in desperate need of some AC, cool drinks and the use of the loo. Between the two of us, we consumed an order of pad thai, pork/mushroom shu mai, pork bun (bao), and General Tso's chicken & broccoli. It does bear saying we had THE. WORST. WAITRESS. EVERRRRRRRRRR.

We perused the yarns Modern Yarn had out for their sale, and I suggested, we head over to Ellie's Knit 'N Rest, and if she's open let's see what her sales are, as after 40 years of business, she's retiring. For someone who is in the process of closing up shop, and hope to have it completely empty in a matter of two weeks, you'd think she'd be cutting some serious deals so as to avoid having a lot of stock to be packed and moved and put into storage or whatever she's planning on doing with it.

NO SUCH LUCK.

I came away from the shop with two skeins of Noro silk/cotton blend (70% cotton, 30% silk), 108 m apiece for $6 a skein; she still had about four more skeins in the same colorway and I asked her what kind of discount she'd give if I took the rest off her hands. $6 a skein.

Additionally, I got four balls of Debbie Bliss cotton silk aran, (80% cotton, 20% silk), 63m a ball, for $3.75 a ball. Again, no further discounts or incentives to buy more balls were made just to rid Ellie of the remaining few balls in this colorway. I respect how upfront she is, totally unflappable whilst dealing with solicitors; however, I've been in this shop before (I usually bring friends in from NY) and not once has she ever given me a break. And it's with this type of business style that makes me wonder in this day and age of mega-stores like Michaels and AC Moore and similar ilk, how she was able to tough it out for four decades. I wish her well with her retirement, but personally I didn't think she gave as deep of a discount as she could have.

I left with my yarn and thought momentarily of how I'd get myself back to Montclair next weekend for one final purchase.

Perhaps... perhaps I already have.

So then we headed off to London Food Co., so I could pick up some packs of Airwave gum (love their black mint, even though anything licorice should be verboten for me), some black jack (again, licorice), and Smarties chocolates. I saw something so effing hilarious, I had to buy it. And yes, I will use it, but had to buy it: Uncle Ben's Tikka Masala. Let that marinate in your grey matter for a moment: An American brand such as Uncle Ben's, producing an Indian product, Tikka Masala sauce, and being exported as a British product. HILARIOUS. I "get" the Indo-Anglo connection; however, I just don't get how Uncle Ben's got factored into this three way, incongruous gang bang of notions.

As we exited, we had the most unexpected and amusing/charming conversation with a woman who is associated with the shop, who offered us a taste of some candy she was selling (I'm partial to the pineapple), and discussed all manner of things ranging from candy and tea to the S&M shop which moved from Valley Road down to Lackawana Plaza, down by Chocolate Path. Then it was time for us to head off for some tea.

Jess and I went to ChaMaGuDao, which is yet another of my usual stops when in town, to get a refill on their house blend, which is a nice black tea, with a hint of vanilla and raspberry (I always thought it was passion fruit). I got a pound. Not cheap, but I figure it'll be a while until I come back. Maybe a month. Maybe two.

We bypassed the bookshop, just in the essence of time, and landed at Stix-n-Stitches, which is without a doubt, my favorite yarn shop. Not my favorite "in Jersey." My favorite. PERIOD. And now that Ravelry has made the world a lot smaller of a place and a lot more familiar of a place for us folks who are knitters or crocheters, it has a sense of community I have yet to find in any other shop. PERIOD.

I brought Jess in and introduced her around, and I parked myself in a chair so I could relax a bit and enjoy some iced passion fruit ice tea, and schmooze a bit with Sheila and eventually Remi. Thanks to Remi, she de-mystified the Featherweight Wrap pattern in the May/June Crochet Today magazine, enough so I think I can actually try my hand at it. I'll play around with some Red Heart, and once I get the repeats down pat, I'll figure out what yarn I'll do this wrap in. I was thinking that the cotton silk blend would be good, and depending on the depth of color it could probably carry me through spring, summer and possibly fall; however, some quick math was done at home, and I realized I'll need another 15 balls of the Debbie Bliss in order to do it. I checked KnitPicks online, and found a cotton/beech fiber in a shade I wear a lot of, for under $3 a skein... considerably less than Ellie's price for a similar product. I'm going to do a bit more browsing before I come upon the perfect fiber and color for this project. But many, many thanks to Remi. I just don't "do" pattern work all that much!

Many thanks to Carla, who sat with me when I asked her about hairpin lace, and I happened to have my hairpin lace loom/harp/whatever you want to call it with me, just on the off chance someone might be able to assist. Turns out the way I thought to do it is the correct way to do it. I paid it forward by showing Jess and Monica a quickie how-to on Tunisian Simple Stitch.

I was able to show off my newest Jimbo hook to Sheila, and we schmoozed about his Chop Hooks (one of which found its way to Remi, thank goodness), and I know whomever gets the remaining hooks in whichever context or contest or prize, there is such good karma involved...it truly is an endless stream of "pay it forward."

My latest Jimbo hook--isn't it lovely and rustic?
Handcarved and roughly a size "N."

As promised to Jimbo, here is picture of my personal scrumble thus far.
Friends have added to it, and I'll add a bit more to it, and make an
aromatherapy pillow for Jimbo to auction off on behalf of Friedreich's Ataxia.
Please see the button on my side panel to find our more about it!

Jess and I drove around just a bit more so she could see some local spots which were used for outside shots in the Sopranos; gassed up the car; went to the bank and Dunkin Donuts, and then we were headed Westchester-bound, and into ONE. HELL. OF. A. STORM. It was as if the ass of hell had opened up and took a dump on us all. I loathe driving in weather like this, SUV notwithstanding. I still get nervous. Yet, Jess and I had some great conversation and laughter, and before you know it, we were back in the White Plains area, which due to a situation I still don't quite understand, was flooded. As we drove through Greenburgh, the water was easily mid-calf deep. Just crazy.

No comments: