Sunday, May 03, 2009

The "Mother Load," aka "All The Shit That's Fit To Photograph": Part One

Still Life of Lilacs and Milkglass snapped this afternoon.
As Blogger will only allow a certain # of photos to be uploaded in one shot, I believe the "All the Shit That's Fit to Photograph" will be a short series here on my blog.

Let's start at the beginning, shall we?
What I present to you here, unabashedly, unashamedly, is my spare bedroom, my den, my craft studio/office.. er... my "Den of Iniquity." Or as I like to call it, "Where all the magic happens."

Still Life: Craft Room "Detrius."

I really need to do something about this. Yes. "Understatement of the year," however, if you know me and what I've gone through in the last 8 months, you'd realize how the room HAD morphed from a tidy guest room as early as August 1st for friends from out of town, to an out-of-control "Drop Zone" following the tandem hospitalizations of both parents from August to September 2008, the countless runs to/from Jersey, dad's open heart surgery in September, and his ultimate passing at the end of October. I'd say anyone else in the same situation would've done the same thing: dropped stuff in a non-crucial room and shut the door until I'm ready to deal with it.

At this point, it's more like an archeological dig. And it's with that mentality, that I decided "Today is the day," to learn how to transfer photos from my digicam to the computer (as well as learn how to charge up the aforementioned digicam).

This post, and the subsequent ones, are a photo essay, the result of the archeological dig, and in doing so, it's actually helping me organize my den, my thoughts, etc. All I'll say is, "Rome wasn't built in a day."

Next up: My favorite travel project, entrelac!

Behold ye knitters who have an anti-crochet bias. These little bags are in fact created via crochet, "Tunisian Simple Stitch" and using the same type of stitch-pick-uppery you'd do in knit crochet. Love them. It's a great project, and I can often get one bag started by take-off, and finished by landing, during a 3-4 hour flight. Even if I were to sell these suckers at $25 a pop, there's no way I'd be able to get paid adequately for my time. The yarn is an assortment of lots, from Knit Picks Andean Silk (two different colorways), Lion Brand Wool in Lemongrass, and Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in a great magenta which really sends home a "Highlander feel, " with the greens... makes me think of thistles and heather in the Scottish hillsides.

Next up: One of my many recycling or upcycling projects.

This project is done (obviously) in thread crochet, and is employing the use of expired NYC bus/subway metrocards for the basis. What these squares will ultimately be used for, I haven't a clue. Would be cute though, to make them into little "kits" to be sold on consignment in NYC yarnstores, or perhaps used as an incentive or special offer item, should I ever choose to launch that NYC yarn crawl/knitting tour sideline business I've been ruminating for quite a while. Of which? I plan on getting professional business cards made up, and hope for the best.

And of course, anyone reading this, if you are so inclined as to want to schedule a NYC "Yarn Crawl" walking tour of NYC with me, there's a 5 person minimum @$40 per person, and it will take you to 2-3 NYC LYS, perhaps a notions store, a chocolate shop and or lunch, and runs four (4) hours. If you're on Ravelry, PM me, to iron out details.

MORE TO COME...

2 comments:

Julia O'C said...

"Behold ye knitters who have an anti-crochet bias..." Who? Me? Nooooo.

Love the entrelac bag and the Metro card bag. I think you absolutely could sell those as kits.

Re: the guest room...when you're ready, you'll deal. It sounds there's a lot of emotion to deal with as well as stuff. Give yourself a break.

Deneen said...

I love the projects you are working on. My "guest room" went from tidy to yours in about one month and has been that way for about 2 years now-ouch