And yes, injury notwithstanding, I have attempted to crochet. As well as type. It's slow and arduous, DO-ABLE, and not what I'd call "enjoyable."
Ogle the gifties friends have sent, as well as my now stalled progress on my newest 'ghan... I am addicted to "join as you go."
Update: This picture was snapped after three hours in the Emergency Room. The long and the short of it is, I cut myself trying to make a wedge cut into a bulb of fennel, while holding the fennel. Luckily I had sharpened my Santoku before even starting the food prep, so at least it was sharp, and the cut was clean. For such a little slice (it would have required two stitches), the spray of blood was, shall we say, "intimidating."I learned a very valuable lesson... well actually TWO. 1. Cut fennel on a cutting board; and 2. Don't expect the husband to react calmly during an emergency involving blood (actually, he doesn't react well during emergencies... PERIOD, but that's another gripe for another day).
Immediately after the injury, I rinsed it under cold water and applied pressure. After a while my left hand was going into muscle fatigue with applying the constant pressure to the right hand. The husband was unable to grip the wound to keep it from bleeding to give my left hand a rest.
I had to dress my own wound. I elevated the hand above my head. And all things seemed okay, as the blood flow had stopped. Stopped enough for us to eat dinner. Stopped enough for us to go out to see a movie (fyi: "Up"... and it made me sob).
Came home (4 hrs post-injury) with the tip of the injured finger throbbing, and worried that I wrapped the dressing too tight and was cutting off circulation, I unwrapped it to relieve the pressure, and to assess the injury. And with that, it proceeded to gush blood again. So at 9:30 p.m. on a Sunday, we were OFF to the ER.
We waited three hours. I decided I did not want stitches, even though I needed two. I requested Dermabond, and got it. "Sterilized Crazy Glue" is all it is. And so far, so good. Here it is Thursday, four days after injury, and it's on the mend. My hypothesis is that the glue keeps the flesh together long enough for it to start to knit back together. See how I snuck that in there? KNIT back together?
Update: Last Thursday when I went home sick, there was a parcel from a dear friend from MA, who RAK'd me some fluffy Cormo (which appears to be pre-drafted) and a tin of bacon bandages. How fortuitous, no? Within my naughty knitters/hookers crew, we refer to the Cormo as "Angel Pubes," because it's soft and downy and cloud-like.
Update: Then on Saturday (the day before the massive middle finger injury debacle on Sunday), I received a note from the Post Office that a parcel from Egypt was waiting for me. I picked this up on Monday of this week. Inside were all manner of Egyptian goodies from long-time internet-penpal. A box of rose tea, a pen w/hieroglyphics, a bag with embroidered hieroglyphics, a silver scarab w/hieroglyphics, and a silver/nickel/or is it tin? Hamsa w/a God's eye in the center. I have the Hamsa hanging up at my desk. Lord knows I can use all the help I can with the bad energy here.
Update: Prior to my injury, I had been speeding along with what I believe wants to become an afghan. I started the larger motifs and did "join as you go," which, I have to admit is sooooo much more efficient than "granny'ing" them into squares, then working them into strips, and then doing all the slip stitching to join it all. I am joining-as-I-go on the last go around and it's working up quite quickly as a result. Though once it gets to the size I want, I might want to barter with someone local to get them to finish it for me (the border, that is).The smaller daisy motifs I started working and adding on to fill the voids between the larger motifs. And I believe the final around of motifs around the entire unit before having a border put on will be something inspired by the motifs in Etole Japonaise, perhaps a nice creamy ivory for the petals and a yummy lemon chiffon for the centers; or do them up to emulate sun flowers or self-referential "Black Eyed Susans." I'd love to figure out how to do those Irish lace type Corrugated Leaves, so I can intersperse them, so this 'ghan really can take on a garden feel.
The husband who says very little about my crochet/yarn/fiber addiction (other than complaining about the mess in my Den of Iniquity), actually made a point of telling me how great he thought this project was. It's so laughable. The colors are incongruous, as it all started from remnants of Red Heart and other acrylics of similar weight, and I thought I'd have it on hand as a gift, or give it to my niece or what-have-you. And ultimately, I think this 'ghan has the potential to be the first one EVER I have finished (every single one I've worked on in the past, I've "given up the ghost" as it were, and RAK them out to folks who can either use the granny squares or frog the yarn.
Update: Here is the last motif I was working on prior to injuring my finger; and the skeins behind it are the colors queued up for the next motif.ETA: I just realized that not only does my friend from MA and I have quite nearly the same exact name, but my friend from Egypt has the same exact first name as the friend from MA, and our "nickname" is the same.

3 comments:
So sorry...Get well soon.
You mean there's another one of us????? ;)
And the vendor of that Oya book I got on Ebay has what I assume is the Turkish version of the name. Popular, eh?
Bandersnatch
Oh noes! My verification word is DISMAL!!!!
Well.. another one of us in the sense of FIRST names, not the combination of first and last! :)
Post a Comment