Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Weekly Update: As Promised, Loads Of Pix

Surprise surprise. Another bag in the making. I'm addicted to these little bags; and this one
will be the littlest (gauge-wise).
Features: Shortrow pinwheel, puff stitch, entrelac, more puff stitch... it'll be
a sampler bag, I suppose.
And no, you can't have the pattern! Why? Not because I'm a bitch...
I am too lazy and too busy (if that makes sense! I'm a conundrum, so what!)
to sit and count stitches and remember what I did where.
Do what I do: I sit and count stitches and figure things out on my own.
A close up of the puff stitch rows melding into the entrelac... my heroin... my
sweet, sweet, crochet addiction.

Here are three skeins of sari yarn I purchased through one of the "Greater Good" sites,
I believe the Hunger Site. Each skein is predominantly red, but distinctly different from
each other. I hope to make more bags with these (and alternate with black wool), and
I might sell them in my Etsy shop... should I ever get off my duff and
set my shop up! Stay tuned on that one!
Here's my clapotis in all its mishapen glory. This was started with the intent to:
1. Be a learning experience, as I never truly learned knitting terms;
2. Be a learning experience, as I never truly learned how to follow KNIT patterns;
3. When completed, I will forward it onto the Red Scarf Project.
As you can see, I am about to start my seventh repeat (I'm currently on row six, the row where
you add the extra PM at the end of the row...)
I like the project, hate hate hate the yarn (Caron Simply Soft); though it is a bit
more manageable on metals. First I tried it on my rosewoods, then bamboos... and a friend
loaned me her metals, and so far it's not as snaggy/splitty/whateveritis!
I hope to have this finished by the end of the month for the WIPs Wrestlemania*.
I get the greatest stuff in the mail from friends I've never laid eyes upon!
I got this great bundle of bunny fiber from my friend Logan.
Isn't she sweet? Isn't the fiber just yummy!?
I don't have carding combs, so I think I'll go to PetCo and buy two grooming brushes
for cats, and I think I can blend some of this with some of my Cormo
that another friend sent me.
I cannot wait to play with this fiber!
I'd be remiss if I didn't acknowledge her Royal Bunnehness, Tiffany.
Isn't she gorgeous?
*Speaking of WIPs Wrestlemania, I am hosting a party tomorrow TODAY (current time: 2:32 a.m.). I finally sat down around 1:50-something after hours of food prep. I always fuss like this for parties, and I go through a period of dread as the date of the party gets closer. For me, a good lot of the fun is in the planning.
I love my friends, love the idea of the party, but something clicks in with me, and for a few moments I think to myself, "Shit, I got myself in too deep." But that's my fear of failure always on the sidelines ready to devour me and my best laid plans. I also believe it's this fear which is keeping me from setting up my Etsy shop etc, or being more aggressive about going to a business mentor to set up a business plan for both, the Etsy shop and my tour/yarn crawl gig.
My problem is, once I start the food prep, I can't stop. I AM ALL ABOUT THE SMALL DETAILS. I love making finger sandwiches and canapes. I broke down and bought aspic cutters, so every single veggie has been cut in a shape. The menu so far:
Dates stuffed w/pistachios, blue cheese and wrapped in bacon (to be broiled);
"Pigs in a blanket" (perverted to look like genitalia--Good times);
Frozen horsd'oevres;
Watermelon salad (w/cuke, onion, red wine vinaigrette, fresh mint and minced gaita olives);
Tuna salad (pate style) w/sprouts on white bread w/bread and butter pickles (bread, of course cut with a festive cutter);
Goat cheese, pickled beets and mache on brioche "buttons" (with little heart cut outs of beet as garnish);
Cheddar, apple and bacon on toaster waffles;
Calabrese styled sandwiches of pesto and sliced tomato and mozzerella on baguette;
Cream cheese and olives;
Lavash pinwheels w/Bulgarian eggplant spread and hummus and olives;
Veggie frittatta;
Sangria-champagne punch;
Iced coffee/white russians;
Thai Iced Tea;
Iced tea w/mint.
I just need to assemble the sandwiches and get the frittatta in the oven by noon, and hope I have time to take a hot hot bath.

3 comments:

Deneen said...

I love your little bags you come up with.

I saw that Sari Silk on the Hunger Site-I hate working with Sari Silk (just my opinion, of course).

I love buying from those sites-Fair Trade and all that good stuff.

Maven said...

The sari silk is tricky; however, I find it less annoying than say using boucle. I find the best hooks for irregular yarn like this is either a Boye or an Addi, as the heads are not as "hooky." I like the idea of using this fiber, as (hopefully according to their website) it helps other folks. I like the concept behind the yarn, and the variations in color.

I might try out the banana fiber I saw on another of those sister sites.

Lupie said...

For some reason I counldn't comment on your last post.
So I started to listen to this "Mister Deep" the type I couldn't stand back in the day because while they were getting high and finding their inner selves I was working my way trough college and had no time for that BS.
You said wait for it and I did. Well worth it. Maybe he should have been crocheting.