Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Things I Learned on Vacation

Things I learned on vacation.
1. One crochet project is NOT enough!
2. Always plan some "me time" to scout out the local LYS!
2a. Almost always, the local fiber will be a minimum of twice as pricey as the rest of the yarn offerings.
3. Even if he plans the vacation, I shouldn't take it for granted he's got good directions.
4. Take initiative and buy a Hagstrom's map and a compass. (No GPS for me!)
5. Do not trust that the husband will order my breakfast as I requested.
5a. Shitty breakfast will ensure a sour start to my day.
6. Note to self: Pack spray bottle of white vinegar (for sunburns). Keep in suitcase w/other travel toiletries.
7. I can live without television or telephone. Internet? Not so much!
9. Coffee is a sorry and inadequate substitute for a peaceful night's sleep. Vacation or otherwise.
10. NetFlix rocks! I'm loving all the shows (on Showtime) I don't have access to: Dexter, Bullshit!, Weeds!
11. Haute Cuisine is fabulous; however, by day three, I just want macaroni and cheese or an egg salad sandwich!
12. At least one winter in my life, I would love to live, rustic and remote, on Nantucket. I'd totally get off on all the planning involved in provision purchases, yarn purchases/project planning, and get caught up on all my reading and sleep. No sound except the wind rustling through the rose hips, and the smell of sea air and wood burning stoves intermingling. The sounds and scents of solitude!
13. Never think that a five hour drive away, plus a 30 mile ferry ride off the mainland is far enough to not encounter someone you know on a first name basis. It's a small world. Folks find you.

2 comments:

Deneen said...

My souvenirs are always yarn, whenever we travel. Gimme a good ole lobster roll anytime, I live off of those and lobster whenever in Cape Cod.

I never crochet-or rarely, while on vacation anymore. Might be cause I have a 9 3/4 year old with me, but I read like crazy.

Cape Cod is like it's own country. Some of the locals have never left the Cape ever and even vacation on the Cape, some just blocks away, weird. My husband worked on the Cape for a year and has some stories.

I also learned the world gets smaller and smaller everyday. While in Bermuda, eating in a pub, the woman next to me asked "Are you from South Jersey?" (my semi-Philly accent, I guess). When I replied yes, she told me she originally was from about 15 miles from where I live. In Aruba, my husband ran into someone he knew.

Zel, The Grimm Witch said...

I never run into anyone I know, and I thank the Gods for it!!:) Number 3 is so true. I went to Mass too, in July, and I regret leaving some routes just to him. I will get my own directions from now on.