Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Oya: Emulation/Simulation

Granted, the weight of the yarn and hook size is different than what Rengin used, but a good first attempt at emulating one variety of her oya. Whaddaya think?

8 comments:

wendy harbaugh said...

you did pretty good . I think the original is a row of chains with sc on the next row with broom stick lace for the third round the fourth round is Solomon's knots to group the broom stick lace together then the thread is wound around the end of a finger or crochet hook a few times then single crocheted over. Next row is hdc into sc on previous round with with a chain bead chain accent at the top of the little circle there is a set of three beads to make the point this is all on the thread that had been wound around the hook. then ch2 and join at top of solomon knot at top of broom stick lace join and add a bead make another sdc in the same spot add another bead and ch 2 is that what you did your photo is a little dark ( the yarn color which makes it a little hard to see) but you look like you had the gist of it.

Maven said...

What I did was:

DC into ea stitch in foundation chain;

SC ea stitch onto large crochet hook (to form the broomstick loops) for first full row;

Solomon's knot to top of each cluster of each four loops for each broomstick, then hdc to secure then form next Solomon's knot for next broomstick loop/cluster of four loops for row two;

Solomon's knot to top of each broomstick;

However, in row 3, I formed a ch5 loop, then Solomon's knot to next broomstick, repeated for length of row;

Solomon's knot to ch5 loop, then did 5dc, slip to join, then Solomon knot to next ch5 loop. Repeat.

Worked in a cotton thread I'm not sure what #, and the size hook I used was my Addi "B" hook.

Rengin Yazitas said...

Your work looks so pretty. I'll be sending you some samples other than the turqoise one, so you'll be able to see different samples:))
These laces are crocheted with floss thread that makes them so nice. Regular rayon or cotton thread never gives the same performance.

Maven said...

Thanks for the feedback, Rengin!

I used a larger thread while playing around, however, I have some actual thread I'll be using for the actual projects. I just wanted to play around with the techniques involved in that swatch:)

Fruitful Fusion said...

Brilliant! Your work is beautiful!

The Frizzy Hooker said...

Your work is beautiful. The solomon's knot above the broomstick is a nice choice visually. It demonstrates your talent as well.

Hilde C. said...

Wow! It looks very complicated :-)

FireDragon said...

Thank you for writting down what how you did it.

Very nice.