So while in NYC yesterday (which would be the second time this week I was in NYC, btw), I hoofed it from W57/Broadway to Madison/E65th to visit String since they relocated. Wandered about and really, nothing personal, but I'm unimpressed with the lack of books/patterns for crochet (as well as their selection of hooks isn't all that impressive either). But still, there was yarn to occupy my interest. Though to be honest, I have enough at home to last me a considerable amount of time (who doesn't?). A skein of 460 yards of Ella Rae Merino Lace caught my eye, in all its magenta glory.
So I snatched it up. A single skein, but what to do with it? I knew I wanted to do a smallish lace project with it. If I were more advanced or even remotely confident with my capabilities for hairpin lace, I'd select the Mohair Hairpin Lace Shawl, but I can't see myself tinkering with this skein. I want something I can confidently, and happily complete. Nothing too terribly challenging. If I can't find anything suitable, I'll tinker around with clusters or puff shells until the yarn tells me what it wants to be.
ETA: Skein was eventually gifted to friend StichinTyme.This is my first project utilizing Tunisian KNIT stitch, as well as doing a flat panel of entrelac worked in the round in a square shape. It's not perfect, but I never strive for perfection, and it's a washcloth, so I doubt if I (or the recipient, if I choose to give it away) would balk at it. It's worked in T'ika cotton, which I feel is a garment quality cotton, so the cloth is nice and soft. I'd imagine a garment worked in it would have nice drape.
And lastly, I agreed to "test hook" something a friend is writing a pattern for. A bag. That's all I'll say on the pattern itself (which was easy enough to hook, but the language was a bit problematic for me personally as I think I'm a "pattern dyslexic" and do much better with charts). It's intended to be a draw string bag, but I think I might try to adapt it for rigid wooden handles. Will post more once I've got it blocked and lined, and figured out how to attach the bag itself to the handles.
PS: To show how STUNTED and USELESS the web browser filter is here at work, it's not showing my washcloth photo and has it marked as "adult." WTF Websense? WTF, indeed!

1 comment:
Ooh that merino lace, so my colors-gorgeous!
I can read charts, but so prefer a written pattern. I have learned (the brutally hard way) to read all patterns through first and then make notations on things that seem amiss or odd. For patterns I write myself, I usually have a tester test them and tell me how my wording is. Again, I am doing a pattern now and wondering (this is a pattern I wrote a few years ago) WTH I was thinking with some of the wording and reworking it. Same pattern, just written differently.
At least you remember to bring a hook, hell, I get into a real yarn store (rare) and I am so unprepared, I always buy "ooh, pretty, ooh soft" and don't think about what it will be.
Post a Comment