Saturday, February 27, 2010

Picture This, 2/19/10

Only in NY, can you be on the corner waiting for a bus and have someone approach you about the yarn store bag you're carrying, which then leads to a furtive, impromptu "show and tell" as the M104 pulls up to our curb, with me showing off the Ella Rae Merino Lace I got at String, and my yarny compatriot showing off some sparklely silver Vanna White she picked up at NAME REDACTED:)

I hopped the M104, where, there's always something happening. A fight could break out. I could possibly spot someone quasi-famous. And the potential is always there for something disgusting. In the latter of the three, unfortunately was my fate on my way to Knitty City. A woman hopped on the bus, wearing a very light colored skirt with a noticeable dark rusty brown vertical streak up her hind parts. Think of that the next time you sit on a seat in public transit.

So off to Knitty City I went, in search of buying the largest Tulip/Etimo hook I could buy, which in this case means a "J." I looked at the entire kit of hooks, and I just can't justify spending close to $80 for an entire set of hooks when the reality is H, J, and sometimes a B are the ones I use primarily (when I'm not using my P, Q, S or U JUMBO hooks, that is). So I bought the J, and fell in love with two skeins of Merisoft by Punta, which I bought and had them cake up for me. The fate of these skeins has yet to reveal itself to me. The colors lend themselves well to Spring or Autumn projects.


I worked up a thirst and appetite at Knitty City and decided to check out Gus and Gabriel's Gastropub, (ETA: 12/28/10: Gus & Gabriel's is no longer at this location) on the same street. So I popped in to try a Weihenstephan and their applewood smoked "riblets." Good stuff. While I waited for my order, I worked on my Ella Rae Chunky Floral (in my projects) scarf. I got a smidge mellowed from the Weihenstephan, as I nibbled my riblets, watching Tiger Woods' public speech regarding his infidelity.

I then wandered a few blocks away to the Fatty Crab, to pick up dinner for the husband and I: some type of wonton type soup, nasi goreng (Malay fried rice) and some type of "crock chicken." I sat and sipped a coconut water, while I continued working on my scarf.

I went back to Grand Central to wait for the husband, so we could travel home together, and ended up sitting next to a woman engrossed in a knitting project. I asked if I could sit with her, she obliged, and we sat in silence working on our projects. Hell, when I finished up my project, I discovered even a Nasonex box can be used as a suitable Nostepinde.

We sat in silence. No discussion. No introduction. No mention of Ravelry or anything else for that matter and before I knew it, he arrived, and my day in the city was done.

1 comment:

Seymore Monkey said...

This sounds like great day to me - except for the bus part. Love the Merisoft. I miss NY.