Monday, October 10, 2011

It's Just Fucking String, Get Over Yourself

Well, there's yet another NYC LYS I will never visit again: Loopy Mango.

Primarily because of the "chilly" (subtext: unfriendly) interaction my two friends and I were on the receiving end of today, pretty much stalked by the shop keep/sales clerk/whomever-she-was as if we were either dregs or potential criminals, as well as her know-it-all attitude when butting in on a conversation being held where we were discussing the heft of the over-sized knitting needles and speculating on how fatigued one would be using them.

Such a shame, as I know for myself, I was going to purchase a vintage table runner (because I loved the crochet motif on it); and I know my friends were going to make a yarn purchase, too. So who knows how much the ultimate sale COULD have been.



Trust me, hovering nearby us and butting in on our conversations is not a good sales strategy, especially in this economy. If I want to be treated poorly by a store manager, I'll go to Lion Brand Yarn Studio (NOT!!), or if I want to buy over-priced yarn, I'll go to Wool and the Gang (again, NOT!).

6 comments:

DungeonKnitter said...

Maven,
First, re: the buttinski- what a crotch!

Second, re: "coo-coo-for-cocoa-puffs" lunatics leaving comments- I'm one of those (and I know I am). But at least I'm the good kind. I hope.

Love,
Dungeonknitter

Maven said...

1. Yes, a very crotchular buttinski!

2. Trust me, you might think you're coo coo for cocoa puffs, but you're not. Srsly!

Miss Julep said...

Sheesh! What a pain.

Maven said...

Indeed!!

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

At first I thought you were gonna say the woman had some rude remarks to say about crochet (believe it or not, I get that sometimes when I go to yarn stores) but then when you said how she acted, wow...it's good to know that way we can all avoid that shop and save our money for shops that treat their customers with the respect we all deserve! :)

Maven said...

Oh yes, I know I know! I get that a lot too. I actually had someone (who actually knows me, that I'm a hooker, and that I have quite a wide assortment of not-so-cheap yarn in my stash) tell me that the reason why stores don't cater to crocheters is because we just don't spend money. Which is hilarious as we spend up to 1/3 more on yarn as our projects use up to 1/3 more yarn for comparable knit projects. Wild stuff. And yes. Way to make folks feel welcome in your store! :) Furthermore, the yarn that carries their store brand is made by Dream in Color, and well, I can go to Knitty City for that, and be treated considerably better.