Still here. Alive. In one piece. Surviving the holidays. Loathing it. :)
Survived extended family party. Don't think I'm going to any future ones. Don't really have the stomach nor the patience for it anymore. And really, for me, my own personal Santa died three years/four holiday seasons ago. Not sure if I can or want to get over that.
I stayed up until 2 a.m. the day of the party, hooking a moebius for my sister's gift. Of course, she didn't have a gift for me (not that the holiday is all about such things), but what I received in turn was quite stunning. She opened it. Glib is all I can come up with for what transpired:
Her: "What IS this?"
Me: "Ummmm... Uh, it's a cowl."
(Mind you this is going on in a room of about 20-30 people.)
Her: "How do I wear it?"
Me: "Well you slip it on over your head and it hangs out around your neck to keep you warm."
Her: (Tosses it to me) "Show me."
Me: (Puts it on, looks at sister with a raised eyebrow, exasperated.)
CUE UP THE CRICKETS!!!
So, before I left, I did manage to say to my sister, "If you don't want me to make you handmade things anymore, let me know. I'll focus my energy on making something for someone who appreciates it."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
such a bummer... I know the feeling though. I've given a couple of gifts that weren't met with complete overjoy and it sucks.
At least you can cross off one more hand-made gift, right?
I informed my aunt that officially, she (my aunt) is the last remaining family member I will crochet items for. Her reply: "Great. I love your work!" :) My reply back to her, "I wish I finished your slippers instead!" Lesson learned!
Oh, that is so lame. I'm very sorry to hear it. Glad your aunt appreciates your lovely work!
Thanks for the moral support!
I have MISSED you and was worried! Glad you haven't been abducted by aliens but am so sorry about the gathering and more specifically the reaction of your sister. It hurts and sometimes "they" don't realize it, nor do they realize GOOD (expensive) yarn, workmanship and style. Hope you won't become estranged over it.
And if it makes you feel any better, I still have my crocheted cloth from you and I won't let anyone mess it up. It is still pristine and new...guess I'm saving the good stuff, right? It's currently in my craft room used as a doily of sorts.
I hope you'll find some happy moments in the coming week.
Thanks, so much, Julep! :) I'm still posting on FB a bit more regularly than I've been blogging. I have a pair of Shirley's Socks I've been hooking... perhaps I should snap a pic of that:) Thanks so much for the great reply! Hope you're having a considerably happier holiday season!!
LAME!! I would love to have an item crocheted just for me...Her loss, our gain :-)
Happy New Year, Maven!
Many of my family members are the same. Now, I only make gifts for my yarny friends!!
Post a Comment