Both, my fingers and the yarn have made their intentions known, loud and clear, that THIS needs to be hooked up NOW. And while I"m hooking it, I"m thinking of my friend Alyce and her mom, who are displaced (and who knows how long they'll be homeless) as a result of that bitch Sandy.
So I am hooking this up, thinking of both of them, and hoping for the best. And texting every other day to make sure everything's okay.
Debating the merits of giving this to them (when finished), or perhaps auctioning it off and giving the proceeds to them to help them thru this.
It's bad enough to be displaced and vulnerable; it's further compounded when the hotel they were staying at kicked them out a few days ago, as the hotel was more concerned with losing the money from the out-of-towners who'd be in NYC for the marathon. Hotel management said they were welcome back after the marathon. What-the-ever-loving-fuck?
I'd call out the hotel and name it specifically, but this did not happen to me, and I don't think it's my place to do so. But, that right there, ranks right up there with the same level of scumbaggery as what's going on right now in Mantoloking and other parts at the Jersey Shore, where houses have not only been destroyed by the hurricane, but are NOW being looted.
Oh, those looters? Who ARE they? Oh they're NOT out-of-towners or transients. Oh no. Folks attempting to enter the devastation zone are being turned away by the police and National Guard. The folks who are doing the looting? Who are they? Well they are the fucking neighbors and members of the same community as the folks who have been victimized ENOUGH by the hurricane.
So I'm hooking out of a sense of helplessness, that no matter what I could possibly to to alleviate someone's burden during this time, I fear it's not enough. But I hope the afghan will keep them warm, or the proceeds from it will keep food in their belly or perhaps pay for a night in a hotel, wherever they may find one.
So what say you? Do I give the afghan to my friend, or do I try to auction it off and give the proceeds to her?
PS: By the end of the evening, 11:22 p.m. precisely, I stopped. I ran out of pink and white yarn. The square as it is right this moment is 27" x 27." Hope to get additional yarn during lunch hour (so I can then do my pre-Snowpocalypse grocery shopping and laundry run after work). Here's my baby as she is right this moment.
Sunday, November 04, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment