Bottom line is, I've got too many for me to even give a rough estimate. However, I thought I'd take a moment and inventory hooks I own now (or owned in the past), and give a quick and dirty critique as an end user/consumer who is an intermediate skill level crocheter.
Addi (straight handled)
My
critique: This was my favorite hook; however, the hook/shaft end eventually
separates from the plastic handle and crazy glue or epoxy isn't enough of a
bond to keep it together. (I've had several where this has happened). I owned
about three, and have given them all away.
Note: Skacel has exceptional customer service, and I've sent back hooks to the manufacturer (or to the shop where I obtained the hooks) for my money back.
Addi Swing
My
critique: My favorite hook, especially for small gauge hooks, given the
handle is substantial enough, my hand doesn't cramp up like it does when
holding a very small gauge hook; downside: shaft is too short so it's not good
for stitches with a lot of yarn overs, i.e. bobbles, buillions, and small Tunisian
projects (all my entrelac is done on conventional hooks, not Tunisians. I have
NEVER used a Tunisian hook thus far, but I feel that will change soon.) I own
about a half dozen of these hooks.
Boye
My critique: Good standard
hook, but sometimes, depending on the stitches or yarn in question the hook
isn't deep or "hooky" enough. I own several.
Brains Barn
My critique: Gorgeous to look at, though given how rough I am with certain
hooks or projects, I worry that with the finer gauge hook with more delicate
ornamentation, it might not hold up to regular use. I own a very small gauge
hook, plus an "S" sized double ended hook for Tunisian/crocheknit
which I had custom made.
Note: As of today's edit (6/10/15), I do not know if Brian is still making crochet hooks--he and his wife have totally dropped off my radar (completely!).
Note: As of today's edit (6/10/15), I do not know if Brian is still making crochet hooks--he and his wife have totally dropped off my radar (completely!).
Bates
My critique: A hook I am sure every single crocheter has in their kit/tool box.
Clover Soft Touch
My critique: They're "okay." but I feel like Goldilocks in the house
of the three bears. To me, it's "just not right." I owned a full set
I won at an auction which I've given all but a few away. I'll use them in a
pinch, but they're not the first things I grab.
Clover Amour
My critique: These are a great option for
folks who think the Etimo Tulip hooks are too pricey. They seem, to me at
least, to be very comparable. I own several & love them.
Daystar
My Critique: Stunningly beautiful. It's almost as if Brains Barn and Daystar
were in competition with each other to see who makes the most beautiful hooks.
Functional, but again, given the delicate nature of some of the features, I'm
afraid to use the hook regularly. Additionally? Almost "too hooky."
Denise Interchangables: HAVE NOT TRIED THUS FAR
Etimo Tulip
My Critique: Hands down my favorite. Okay, it is running neck-and-neck with
Addi Swing for my favorite category, and for different reasons. All my entrelac
projects, thus far, have been done with either a Bates or an Etimo hook.
Jenkins Woodworking
My critique: Good, durable wooden hooks. I have a U sized hook, it is the
largest diameter hook I own. Love it.
Jimbo's hand carved
My critique: Good durable, hand turned hooks of varying styles and wood. I love
his creativity and his connection to crocheters. I own several hooks. They have
great handles and are well balanced and have held up very well to regular use.
Knitter's Pride Crochet Hooks
My critique: Nice weight and feel, and good for general use, but if you are doing stitches with a lot of yarn overs (like trebels, bobbles or buillions), the depth of the hook isn't deep enough to keep the stitches on there. "Not hooky enough."
Knitter's Pride Crochet Hooks
My critique: Nice weight and feel, and good for general use, but if you are doing stitches with a lot of yarn overs (like trebels, bobbles or buillions), the depth of the hook isn't deep enough to keep the stitches on there. "Not hooky enough."
Kollage Square Hook
My critique: I don't want to say I hated it. But I did. I didn't like the
square handle. I guess I must turn my hook a bit as I use them, and the square
edges are not conducive to my style of hooking. Pretty to look at, but hey, if
I want to look at a pretty hook, I'll look at my Brains Barn or my Daystar
hooks.
Turn of the Century My critique: Love them with all my heart. Love the shape of the handles. Love the selection of woods. Love the finish on them. I have larger sized hooks (I believe an N, P,Q or perhaps a P, Q and S) and I like to use these with chunkier weight yarns that might be too "slippy" for metallic hooks. These are the very first wood hooks with which I fell in love.

No comments:
Post a Comment