This yarn sat in my stash for four years, languishing, as it's lace weight and a bit too fine for my purposes.
After negotiating a barter with a friend, where I'd send her several (perhaps was 4? Six?) cones of Iris #18 nylon for macrame and friendship bracelets, in exchange for her Navajo plying the two skeins of silk into a heavier weight yarn for me.
Mind you, at any given point in time prior to me mailing out my yarn, she could have said no. I would have been totally okay with a NO, rather than someone miscalculating their time or efforts or stamina or whatever. Life is demanding, I totally understand that.
Also worth noting, I have an collection of health issues and syndromes, as well as pain, anxiety and depression. I know what it's like to struggle to be impeccable with one's word and promises made. It is for this very reason, oftentimes, I am quick to say NO when someone asks me if I am able or want to do something. I'd much rather say no than to disappoint someone.
Clarification, I sent this off to her in May 2014, thereabouts. Current writing, it is now mid-month, June 2015.
In January (8 months later), she posted a blog post about it, and even got so far as to mail it to my office (as I was out of the country at that time). Unfortunately, there was some snafu with the postal worker and he refused to deliver it, even though it was correctly addressed.
It was then returned to her. And, again, YES, I *did* message her directly, SEVERAL times* about this, from January to March 2015, and even suggested that I'd gladly repay her 2x what she spent in postage to cover the money she's laid out to mail it.
*Note: When I say I messaged her several times, it was across several different platforms. PM on FB several times, which went un-read or unacknowledged, despite her posting content on her wall. Emails were sent directly. PM sent on Ravelry. And lastly leaving a comment (related or no, I don't recall--afterall, this has been dragging on for 13 months at current writing) on her FB wall.
She assured me each time she was going to mail it out. At current writing, I've given up asking. I've given up waiting. I'm just sad about this. The retail value of the yarn was $104, and yes, sad about THAT loss, but sadder still is the loss of trust and good will.
Some might say it's tacky to write about this--and to those people, I counter with it's tacky to take something under false pretenses, and not return it--isn't there a Commandment about this very type of thing?
I am just hoping that by blogging this, there's some sort of catharsis for me, or might actually be the catalyst to get my yarn returned to me. Even if this post doesn't elicit the latter, or re-establish the GOOD WILL, I am hoping that I'll eventually be able to put this on the back burner and not focus on it any further. It's a thought. And in the meantime, I'm insulating myself. I've taken the yarn out of my active stash, and I've done the unthinkable, and "unfriended" on FB, in a way causing a communications choke point, so any interaction (if any) will need to be via email.

No comments:
Post a Comment