Tuesday, May 13, 2025

RIP KnittinTherapist

A dear friend passed away after a very brief battle with brain cancer, several months after her mom passed away. 

It is a lot to process. Things moved quickly. Her texts were very distorted word salad. She had scan & she had a brain tumor, which turned out to be cancerous. I’ll never know the type as we never had a phone call to discuss it.

One of the two calls we did have, she let me know she was in a rehab facility & mentioned the possibility or hope of returning home in time for her birthday on 4/30.

When no reply was forthcoming when I sent her a birthday text, assuming the worst, I googled for an obituary, and none was online.

Two days ago, late at night, I checked again, and sadly there it was. She died two days after her birthday. The obituary reads as if her sister composed it. And I have no doubt her husband is bereft. 


She was a brilliant person & a dear friend and a talented knitter, and our time as friends was all too brief. In the last five years she helped me grieve the passing of my mom and another dear friend, both passing away 5 months apart. And similar to my friend Susan passing away, our friendship was sustained online, on the phone, and the occasional package in the mail. And in both cases, there just wasn’t enough time to make the trek to the hinterlands of Canada to visit her. 

I shared her obituary on Ravelry, thinking she was still active there, and whatever friends she had there would eventually wonder where she went. 

No comments: