Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The "Fruits" of Another Yarn Crawl

This past Saturday, I (along with three other friends) met a fourth friend (and her boyfriend, who are both from Australia) in NYC, where they are on holiday until the 17th.

I've been remiss/laxe about posting the goings on. Too much fun, laughter, etc, and though there are stories to tell and pictures to show, not everything can or must be shared online.

We were smart, and headed to Habu FIRST. This is where I purchased these two spools (looks like they're wound on drinking straws, to be honest) of Laotian Silk (which I might decide to use on an Oya (Turkish Lace/thread crochet) project.


I also picked up these two little skeins (about 200 yds each) of what I believe to be linen or a cotton blend. No text on the labels, so I don't know for sure. The only thing I "got" out of the sales clerk was yardage.

We had lunch at Heartland Brewery, and much merriment ensued. Too much, to be honest!

After lunch, we went to M&J Trims, where (even though I did not have a burning NEED for them) I picked up these two sets of acrylic handles.


As for the friend from Australia, she had a certifiable, "New York" experience, as she was engaged in and encouraged conversation, and even managed to hug, this guy named Larry.

Initially, us jaded New Yorkers were in hysterics, partly out of shock of the types of things Larry was saying to the friend, and partly out of the fact that the aforementioned friend did not shy
away from Larry, culminating in some great photos and even a hug.

The way my friend spoke with Larry, was nothing short of tender and kind despite the inappropriateness of the things he *ahem* wanted to do. She was full of humanity and kindness, thus making a shocking and inappropriately amusing situation into a rather poignant one.

I have no doubt that the kindness he experienced from my friend was perhaps the only kindness he experienced that day, if not the only kindness he experienced in a great while.

This is a crop of Larry.

2 comments:

Zel, The Grimm Witch said...

Oh jeeze

Maven said...

Zelly, is that a good "jeeze" or a bad "jeeze?"