Friday, January 29, 2010

What's Happenin'...

ETA: Photos added, 7/1/15

Been a bit under the weather; however, a few things have been in the works for me, fiber-wise:

And I did allude to a bit of the bun-bun cormo fiber in this previous blog post; however, here's the next chapter in what the yarn looks like carded and spun into yarn):

A friend from Ravelry kindly drum-carded the rabbit fiber given to me by one friend...
 Here is Tiffany in all her glory! (The source of the fiber in the next pic.)
 ...with the cormo fiber given to me by another friend...
... and spun it up into something truly wonderful for me. 
We've joked about what to name this particular skein, and my friend has the same twisted (ha!) mindset as me, and created this label for it, for my stash on Rav:

I've been tinkering with what I'm calling an entrelac granny square, though to be honest, the foundation of four squares (in TSS) is worked in the round into a ch6 ring like you would a granny, entrelac around, short row TSS triangles to square it off, then "grannied" around. I've done a few rounds of "grannying," and now I'm contemplating shifting back to entrelac. Just to toy with it.

ETA: As of 7/1/15, this granny/entrelac item is still languishing in my WIP pile. I love the dynamic colors of it, and hope to pick it up soon, if/when the mood strikes.

Another friend wanted me to write a pattern for what I have thus far, and I hate, hate, hate writing patterns. I do freeform to avoid reading other patterns and for me to problem-solve or trouble-shoot as I go (that's where I find the fun, the brain activity involved in making the piece "work"). So I haven't finished what I'm doing, but managed to shoot off a picture as well as how I got the foundation squares started and the first and second rounds of entrelac written out. Sloppily. This is the same friend who so graciously offered to help write out the pattern for my interlocking rings "Celtic Knot" granny square.

I have no idea ultimately what this entrelac granny will become, and have no designs on it evolving beyond a passing fancy at this point. In the last five years, I have started all manner of afghans and mid-way through, the bloom is off the rose, creativity stifled or I grow incredibly bored (see my baby blanket of doom in my projects section on Ravelry if you're brave), and then start working on something else to juice my creativity.

If I work on big chunky yarn with big hooks, I switch it up to thread crochet work and lace; if I'm doing too much traditional crochet, I switch to Tunisian/Afghan, and then there's always my passion for entrelac.

Another (now-former) friend (I am truly blessed in the friend department, both on and offline friendships), gave me some new yarn, DPNS, and a pattern and is convinced she will get me to KNIT socks. Please peruse my projects section and see the two partially finished KNIT clapotises which are languishing, begging to be completed. I've hibernated a few of my projects today, and hope to at least finish the Noro Lily Clapotis in time for my trip to Europe in the Spring.

ETA: Re: Clapotis, to see how, "Gee, that escalated quickly," click here.


So getting back to the thoughts of getting me to KNIT socks. Sure. I'd love to do so. However, ANOTHER friend a few years back gave me a book on crocheted socks, and I figure I owe it to myself to finally attempt it, even a small pair for my niece, so I can get the mechanics of it down, because, I want to attempt something else, naturally, a crochet version of something else I saw, which of course, was knit. (If you're curious, as of today, it's at the top of my queue.) ETA: 7/1/15, I did manage to try out socks, and my first sock pattern I tried was Shirley's Socks.

Also in my immediate future: Fat Bottomed Bag

Daydreaming about: Converting "African Adventure" into a crochet version.

2 comments:

Deneen said...

I am kicking myself for getting rid of Crocheted Socks! 16 fun patterns. I should have kept it.

I had angora and swapped it because it's supposed to be hard to spin, so good luck.

I'm glad you're happy with the carding and it went well.

Maven said...

I was very pleased with the carding, and so far it seems like it was a fair swap for both of us:)

I think the key to making crocheted socks is picking the right yarn and hook size for sufficient "give"; I can imagine off hand that the crochet would be a bit hard on the feet if you wear the socks all day. But given the right yarn, hook, and stitch combination, I think it is a possibility!