Monday, January 04, 2021

Placeholder Post: Five Months Later

Nothing to report here. I'm still above ground and casting a shadow. And any day you're not quarantined or hooked up on a ventilator is a good day.

I have not managed to do any hooking. For a while I busied myself using my sewing machine to stitch up some masks--then on election day I had a pretty bad kitchen injury wherein I cut off part of my fingernail (right into the nail bed) and it's taken a long time for it to heal up. 

It still has a ways to go, but the nail is growing. Today is the two month mark since the injury.  I keep saying I'll open my new sewing machine (a Necchi--I had to replace my Brother as we could not get it to work--even taking it to a professional for repair). "Perhaps next week" is my refrain.

I have several lots of different yarns, all in "sweater volume," so I know at some point I will return to it, and will do so using a familiar pattern, just to get my muscle memory back. But not today. 

Today also marks the 8th month since my mom died, and I know how much crochet could help me. And yet. Here I am, lacking the drive.

I have several sweaters in my WIP basket, languishing. Two are for friends, and I've decided I need to free up my energy, and I've already sent along the yarn for one sweater to one friend, and as I go through my craft room to organize it, I'll send along the other yarn to the remaining friend. The projects lie in state in my crafting room like little corpses reminding me of all the good intentions.

I'm no longer on FB, and Ravelry seems to have been largely abandoned by a lot of my friends, and of course, the pandemic isn't helping this ennui and grief, and for the first time perhaps since 2004, I feel truly without a community.

Anyway. That's all I'm going to share for now. I hope this shitty feeling goes away soon.

Stay safe and mask up! 

No comments: